Thursday, November 19, 2009

I love John and Grazia!





Matthias and I have made it safety to our work location. John picked us up from the train station with a friendly American face on (he's from Kansas) and I instantly felt at home. Grazia, John's amazing Italian wife is always feeding us and telling us great walks to take... she's so welcoming and friendly. The work day is relaxed... they told us to get up when we want to and they expect us to help out, not work like slaves... yess!!!!!! This is great. This is what wwoofing should be like. Mattias and I aren't used to it though, yesterday we worked from around 9 to almost 5 and couldn't believe our eyes when we saw the time. We took a walk to the closest village and had a beer and then went grocery shopping with John and Grazia. Mattias helped Grazia with dinner and I spoke to John about the states and my naivety about how the world works. He said I definitely had a country upbringing and its true. Some of the lessons I've learned in Europe hit me like a brick wall.... it's like I'm learning for the first time that life isn't fair... to the point of being incredibly cruel... where was I?

Anyhow, the kids, Eddie and Luca are great. They speak Italian and English and are always smiling. I am going to enjoy my time here immensely. The landscape is absolutely beautiful with rolling hills, villages and mountains in the distance. Also we are amongst an olive tree farm that produces olive oil. I haven't checked out the buildings yet but I want to take a tour soon... we can smell the olive oil and hear the tractors, it's just great!! I have come to love olive oil even more while in Europe and I'll probably never go a day without a glass of red wine. John has been giving us wine at dinner and it's been so good. I've already learned a few dishes from Grazia- she's a great cook.. Anyway, I need to start the day... just wanted to let you all know I am happy, safe and way overfed so no worries about me... for the next 3 weeks I'll be here and warm. I hope you are all well (or at least on the up and up... my family has the flu :( sorry guys). Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment