Monday, November 9, 2009

Buon Giorno!! Rome Nov 7th and 8th



I have a new appreciation for the expression, "Rome wasn't built in a day," because even when you get lost in Rome you find historic sites, monuments and rubble dated 2,500 years ago. This city really is amazing. On the 6th Matthias and I pushed our limits and walked clear across Rome to the Vatican city. We saw sites all along the way and back, 20 to be exact. Vatican City [ruled by the pope of course] was gigantic, 110 acres to be exact and with a population of just over 800, it is the smallest country in the world by both population and area. It was an impressive site but such an exagerated and gaudy show of catholocism. It wasn't my favorite place.. that would be the Pantheon. It's a temple that was built to honor all of the gods of ancient Rome. The building is circular with a portico of three ranks of huge granite Corinthian columns. The columns are under a concrete dome, with a central opening open to the sky. On the night we saw it there was a brass band playing outside which added to the atmosphere and awe of the structure. We also accidently found an Leonardo Divinci exhibit which although we couldn't afford to visit it, the mechanics and drawings in the bookstore were fasincating. We crossed the Tiber River and it was the first time that I've felt fall. It's definately getting chilly and the leaves have even changed color here in Rome. Matthias and I have been very careful with our money and although our lonely planet guide says to budget 60/100 euros a day for Rome, today we spent 13.90 including food and our hostel.
November 8th: Yesterday we spent much of the day walking but in the vacinity of the Pantheon where old Rome is located. We saw the Colosseo, Domus Aurea, the Arc of Constantine and the Circo Massimo to name a few. We also saw tons of fantastic fountains in the rain which were beautiful, my favorite being the Trevi fountain. It's 85 feet tall and 68 feet wide. A traditional legend holds that if visitors throw a coin into the fountain, they are ensured a return to Rome. 3,000 euros are thrown in a day! Wow.. Today we spent a total of 18.20 with food and hostel... so it is possible to visit Rome on a cheap budget... granted we didn't go into any historical sites but you can see so much from the outside! Today [Nov 9th] I've come down with a bit of a cold and feel a bit run down so this concludes my Rome excursion as we're leaving tomorrow for new pastures. Today we'll walk around a bit but I'll give my impressions of Rome now... it's beautiful and impressive, of course it's Rome but I'm frustrated. Everyone looks like they've spent hours getting dressed and primping in the mirror. Probably I'm sick of my worn and torn clothes and jealous of their money and perfectness but it seems so cold. My eyes welled up today upon passing a 5 year old boy begging for money. As he held out his cup I noticed his eyes most. He looked like he was staring into brighter days- his eyes were glossy as if he were watching his own private daydream on big screen. Rich people with their serious faces stomped by as if they were on a runway, never looking down, never stopping, never thinking. I can't say the boy noticed them either as he didn't even blink. Their shiny cat woman boots and his shiny eyes were likely the only thing that united them. I related more to the boy but couldn't help but be envious of these beautiful Italian people. I just wish it didn't matter. I wish the world, I wish I, was always more concerned with making others happy than worrying about well, mundane niceties, shiny cars, things that people won't remember you for... how does that song go? "It's all about the Benjamin's?" I buy it... but that sucks big time. Yah, I know,

It's not just Rome... it's any big city anywhere... it's our society...it's the way the world works... that gets me down.

No comments:

Post a Comment