Monday, October 26, 2009

Oopsies

I can't believe it's been so long since I've written. I've kept notes in my journal and need to transfer them eventually. I've been very busy working at the quinta... we've had a lot of guests and when I get my break (4pm-6pm) I just want to swim and visit the sun, which I've done everyday. It's still hot here during the day but it's getting cooler at night. The lake is lovely when I wake up, for the first few hours it's covered in fog. I plan to leave the Quinta in 5 days. I've had my ups and downs here but lately I feel like I'm loosing the plot... or the plot is loosing me. It's just time to move on- I feel it everywhere. I'm really missing the Fall in the states- the way the leaves dance in the wind and the way they crunch when you step on them, the brisk mornings, the pumpkins, the apple cider, corn mazes, haunted hay rides, cow trains (lol) and especially Halloween films like hocus pocus and even the Mary Kate and Ashley ones (hate to admit it). It still feels like summer here which is good and bad. I guess you always want what you don't have. It doesn't feel like Fall and I'll truly, truly, truly miss it this year. I have a much better appreciation for it now.

Since I've last written I've been to Faro (s'ok)-
COOLEST part was this chapel made of the bones of munks; Tavira (great, typical small Portuguese village), Portomao (big city with a beach), Lagos(see prior posts- it's lovely), Monchique (beautiful and on a mountain) and all the coastal cities on the west of Portugal. The western cities are part of a nature reserve so there are no touristy high rises or hot dogs stands anywhere, just hippies in caravans in the nooks of the rocks. The West and South coasts look so different for this reason but they are both gorgeous. I prefer the west since it's more desolate and natural. I've been able to travel a lot more since the arrival of Matthias , from belgium. He can drive a manual car, thank God, so I've been able to travel with him on our days off. It's been very cool. I bought a new camera a couple of days ago since I broke mine in Spain and I took a few cool photos today. Matthais's friends came from Lisbon and we went to Tia Erme Linda's bar. The only problem at the bar is that there's only 2 stools! It really looks like a small bar in a house... it actually is a small bar in a house. It's only 10 minutes by car from the Quinta. We took an 8 hour walk a few days ago and discovered it. P.S. I have crazy blisters on my feet, but the walk was beautiful. We found an old wind mill dated from 1925 and climbed it. It was made from a big cork tree. We also climbed a big mountain where we could see views of the lake and the hilly landscape of Santa Clara. There we had a picnic and shared with the dogs since they made the trek. We got a bit lost on the way back but luckily a car passed us on a dirt road and we flagged them down. Matthais speaks portuguese, that's a lucky thing. Three of the dogs followed us- they were so boring! We couldn't walk past many of the farms and houses for fear that the dogs would eat the residence's chickens or fight their dogs. Everyone in Portugal has at least 2 dogs. It made it difficult to walk certain places, but they chilled outside the bars when we stopped in and actually could have saved us from wild boars in the dark so I can't complain.
     Fatima, the Portuguese cleaning lady invited Matt (from the states) and I to her house for lunch. It was great to see a typical Portuguese house and eat a local delicacy, which lucky for me was pigs feet on this day. I didnt enjoy the pigs feet at all but the stew they were in was delicious and I'm really glad to have had the opportunity to try them. Portuguese always have parties in December where they slaughter a pig. This porco was from last year's celebration and I'm really glad I missed it. I've heard many Portuguese people say that the pig's scream- I couldn't handle that. I'm actually really looking forward to eating vegetarian when I return. I'm happy for all the carnivorous experiences in Spain and Portugal thus far, thanks goes out to all the suppliers of said "meat" and the animals themselves, but truth be told, I'm not a big fan. Did I hear a "hell yah" from Erin? :) (Miss you!)


    My latest whoa is that I'm just found out that I'm illegally in Portugal right now. I called the embassy before I left and got wrong information. I thought I could stay in each country for 3 months but it's actually 3 months in the European Union which includes Portugal and Spain. So, I'm not sure what happens now. I wanted to fly to Italy but I think they might send me back to the states if I do so I think I'll take a train there or perhaps stay in Portugal in Spain since my funds are getting low. I'm not quite sure... I haven't had as much time as I would have liked to think about my situation and near future. I did email the university in San Diego to ask that they go on with my deferment, meaning they will review my application again and let me know if I 'get in' again. I'd like to have the option, but I suppose it didn't look good, my applying and not attending. I have figured out that of course I like working with children. I also love horses, farms, hard work and keeping busy. I think there's a therapeutic and constructive way to summate all these loves. I'm working it out.

Anyway, our current guests rock. They're from the Isle of man, England. I've made many a Mojito for them throughout their stay (they actually had over 100 drinks in 7 days between 6 of them). Nice work. They leave tomorrow and then we literally have no guests for the first time... which is another sign that it's time to go. I have good and bad reactions to the Quinta. I haven't worked it all out in my head yet so I'll get back to you.

My immediate plans are to leave at the end of the week for southern Portugal. I want to spend Halloween in a city and I think Matthais will come too. He's going to volunteer in a city in the south and I might stay there a week also to buy myself some time. It looks like I will come back to the states for Christmas afterall.... my money is low and I shouldn't be illegally in a country, right? That's not nice on my shoulders. I've contacted a horse farm in Arizona about staying there- no word yet but my fingers are crossed. If not Arizona I think I'll find somewhere to volunteer in the states. It's a good way to see the world I think... as long as you don't work like a slave and have the time to get away and think.

Here are a few pics from the month's activities...
Fatima's pig feet stew with chic peas and mint ( I know Mom, you would HATE this dish)





Above is Andrew Potter(far left)from the states volunteering for Carol who lives down the dirt track ; Archie, my boss Frank's son, me and Matthais from belgium, wwoofing w/ me. In Portugal you can't have a fire until after October 15th. Fires are dangerous since the land is so dry.




To the left is Matthais and I leaving the Quinta to go to Tia Erme Linda's bar today.


I'll write again soon; I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment