Tuesday, August 4, 2009

7/31/2009 My Secret Garden: Granada








We started the day early with a bus ride to the Alhambra. The Alhambra was originally built in the 14th century. It was once the palace of the Muslim rulers of Granada. It is built atop winding, narrow roads high on the mountainside overlooking Granada. The Alhambra has definitely been my favorite experience thus far on my trip. The architecture was beautifully grandiose with intricate designs on the walls and ceilings. I felt tiny amongst the high marble structures, but also comforted because they were so cool compared to the temperature outside. My favorite part were the gardens at General Life. The water fountains were stunning against a backdrop of colorful flowers and tall marble columns. Water was a main element in the garden. It flowed everywhere and almost showed you where to go. One main stair well had water flowing down its handrails… it was truly magical. I was at the Alhambra for about 5.5 hours but could have stayed there for 12 if it weren’t for the sunburn and empty stomach! 

For more pics: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2222381&id=5807079&l=2d1bf234c6

No comments:

Post a Comment