Saturday, September 12, 2009

9/11-9/12

The last 2 days have been spent cleaning  the cars, learning to iron and fold properly  for the Inn (not easy), picking mint for tea, learning Portuguese, taking the dogs for long walks, helping to serve breakfast, lunch and dinner and learning to add to and maintain the Quinta's website. Daniela is back so I haven't been cooking. Tonight I might try my luck at paddling across the lake to a fiesta on the dam!?! I don't know what the lighting will be like... and I'm not quite sure I can row in a dress and stay dry? I guess I could sail into the party but I think I'm more comfortable in the kayak, especially at night. Daniela is supposed to give me a lesson in her car (manual) so I can drive myself to the coast! I am definitely getting a but stir crazy here. It's  been 2 weeks since I've seen civilization. It was nice taking a walk on my day off and I saw some new scenery but it's still cork trees, water and dirt roads. I think I'll go to Lisbon. Maybe I'll be able to give up my breaks each day for 3 days off. We've been working 50-60 hours a week but no one counts them... it's just what you do here. The train only comes through Santa Clara once per day so actually, I'd only have 24 hours in Lisbon- it doesn't seem worth the effort and cost except it is... for my mental health! :) I haven't even spent money in 2 weeks- crazy! Oh and great news, Frank found me Soya milk in Santa Clara! HOORAY! No more black tea and coffee!! P.S. I'm picking up Portuguese a bit!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment