Sunday, March 8, 2009

Graduate School Trip- Day Six- San Diego





Day six. Wow, it's almost over. This week has felt like a month, to be honest. I'm ready to go home, back to my reality. So, today is day one of not having anything on my agenda. I read some signs at the hostel that recommended places to see. I decided on Coronata Island. I walked a few blocks with one of the German guys to the bus stop. He carried on to buy his tickets to go to LA. I waited at the bus stop for what felt like ages, then realized that it runs on a limited schedule on the weekends. I had another run in with crazy people. This one guy, kept riding by on his beat up bicycle looking at me and then stopped and stood next to me. He said something to me but I couldn't understand- it was all slurs. Then he said something to two guys who were talking to themselves and sort of walking like hitler. They started walking toward me and at that moment I contemplated which way I was going to run. At that moment, my bus pulled up and I jumped on. The lady bus driver looked at me like, "whoa" and I said I know, thank you... saved by the ... bus. 
I arrived at Coronada Island around 11 or 12 and it was beautiful. It's a very touristy place, lots of cute little shops and restaurants on each side of the street. The island was covered in pretty, bright flowers and everywhere you went you could smell them. I heard about a famous hotel on the island and walked there after checking out some stores. As I strolled up to the hotel I smelled the best smell ever- ocean, flowers and sun screen. The massive hotel overlooked the beach, which was a pleasant surprise. Apparently the hotel is haunted. I was going to check that out but I got sick of looking for the hotel's entrance. So, I took my sweater, shoes and socks off, rolled up my jeans and felt the sand between my toes. I walked to the water. It was freezing. Some people were soaking up the sun, some were playing football and volleyball and others were reading, drinking and having fun. I laid my sweater down and tried to sleep, to no avail. I tried to read but I started feeling sad. This is not nearly as fun as experiencing it with someone. I started thinking about school and EJ and how I feel about not being able to see him for long stretches of time. I wish my little brother could speak, that would make it easier. I started feeling lonely, which was in deep contrast to the happy, sun bunnies around me. I started conceptualizing how much $120,000 is. I wondered if I'm doing the right thing. I wondered if I really know what I want or if I'm just rushing myself. I thought about traveling and all the people I've met and already said goodbye to. Some I will really miss, which I didn't expect. It's been such a journey. It's done a number on me convincing professors that I'm perfect for their program, when I'm still really not sure; one hundred and twenty thousand dollars. That is a house. A house! So, there's my secret revealed. I'm going through the motions. I'm just not sure. So, that whole head spin was... depressing...and... exausting... so I headed for the burrito stand. This is what, my third one? I love them. I called my mom (hi mom!) and talked to her over lunch. I sort of convinced myself she was there. Somehow I ate the whole thing. I felt sick after. That was stupid. I rolled myself to the bus and headed back downtown. I heard someone in the back of the bus... ummm... barking? Whatever. I continued day dreaming but the barking got louder. The man I will call, the barking man, had moved and sat behind me. I sat more forward and kept him in my periphery. He noticed. He said, "oooo sexy red hair... sexy red hair... DATE RAPE... DATE RAPE..." Over and Over. Excuse me for this mom, but is this guy fucking serious?! What the hell is going on here? At that moment a woman  got off the bus and the barking man yelled, "nice ass for an old lady.." That made me want to laugh even though I was scared. And he was right, she did have a nice ass for an old lady. I decided to move even though I knew that would continue and maybe allow the barking man more creativity. He indeed noticed but lacked creativity. He said, "nice ass, sexy red hair, date rape" etc etc. I noted to thank Erin for giving me this "sexy, red hair" and then prayed he didn't get off the bus at my stop. I no longer thought about my grad school blues, just my course of action if he did. I quickly thought about the immense difference between Denver and San Diego bus transit. My hypothesis is that San Diego is more spread out so the "normal" people have cars and don't appear on meat market bus 901, quests like this. Denver is more of a typical big city, where parking is difficult so the normal people, like the Josh we met, ride the bus. Dually noted. I got off the bus and decided I no longer felt like going downtown to take pictures, as planned. I'll save that for tomorrow. 
I returned back and met another new roommate. She was from Germany also. We talked for a bit and then day turned to night. I met some nice guys for Illinois here on a break from the military and walked to the store with them for some much needed wine. I wasn't going to go alone at this point. He got back from Albertsons and went into the kitchen. I began over hearing the transvestite talking to the old lady (who walked into my room earlier and walked back out, yelling about peeing too much for the top bunk- thank God their not my roommates by the way) ok... so I overheard them talking about having a three some with one of the 18 year old boys. I gagged and decided this wasn't my type of party. Strike one. The three of us went to the common room and were happy to see the germans, the hostel staff and some other normal looking people about to begin a drinking game. This is promising. I met a hilarious girl from MAINE, named Marge, a gay guy name Bob, and some other hostel staff from England, Germany and Sweden. The game was fun. I stopped worrying about school and had a really good time. I had a good buzz going and Bob asked me to go to Albertsons for more beer. I said, sure. We walked out and there we found the Swedish guy preparing his  bicycle that pulled a 2 seated cart. It was surreal riding on this thing through the warm streets of San Diego, with a gay guy named Bob, with a Swedish guy named? So crazy! And these are the moments that I wouldn't have appreciated if I had stayed at a hotel, alone. Oh, SO CAL life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment