Friday, March 6, 2009

Graduate School Trip- Day Four- Denver, Utah, San Diego



I got up at 6 a.m. to get ready for my interview and to repack for my flights today. I had called a taxi to pick me up at the Denver Hostel at 8:30 for my 9am interview. He called me at 8:35 saying he couldn't find me. Finally I figured out that my hostel was on 16th ave. not 16th street... my bad. So, by this time it was 8:40. I decided to walk, well run-ish. I changed into my dansko's- thank god for them. It was a good 20 minute walk and difficult with my huge backpacks but I made it in time. I was sweating pretty bad when I arrived, had awful hair and needed to change shoes in the lobby- total hobo style but whatever, I rocked this interview.

 The interviewer asked all of the tough questions and I was prepared for the most part. She is accepting maybe 10 students in the fall and I'm confident... which means a lot... I'm rarely confident. The interview lasted 2 hours (holy marathon) and then I had a tour. The school is located in a cool part of Denver, right by the state capitol. The staff was nice. The receptionist even took my on 3 different buses afterward to pick up the airport bus at Market Street Station. I would have missed my flight had I missed that bus, so thanks Maxine, the lady with 6 grandkids, 2 kids and a cool unicorn sweater, which I told her I liked. 

My flight from Denver to Utah, almost made me hurl all over this poor soldier named Ray Meincke, who is 25 and not excited about going back to Iraq in a month. He flies drones (the people-less warplane things. Anyway, Utah is beautiful even from the airport. It is surrounded by snow covered mountains and they’re huge! The flight to San Diego was fine. It seemed long and I was bored, for once in my life.

I got to beautiful SD and took the public bus to downtown and walked the remaining 8 blocks to the hostel. The city was bustling and was about 60 degrees out. Apparently I just missed a bout of great weather.

 Anyway, got to the hostel and there was free dinner! It was really good. It was a bunch of cheesy pasta and garlic bread. One of my roommates is from Australia. I have an idea about the other- but don’t know for sure. She seems Bulgarian or something like that, but she doesn’t speak English- awkward! J  I sat with a girl from Paris and a couple of guys from Germany. They gave me something I called, “sweet beer.” It was just coke and Budweiser but it was good. I wouldn’t have it again but it was good. I said goodbye and went to my room. I need to plan the bus route to this school. I was going to rent a car, but I like the bus and it’s cheap; a win- win if you ask me.

I will add pictures and videos when I get home. Wish my luck on my interview! I’m so happy that it’s my last one for the week!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment